DIY: Metallic Letters
Sep 23, 2016 11:00AM
● By Monica Fatica
Feature and photos by Monica Fatica
Create faux industrial-inspired metal letters using minimal art supplies.
• Paper mache or cardboard letters
• Black/soft black craft or decorative paint (we used Chalk Paint® decorative paint by Annie Sloan
• Metallic acrylic paint or wax (we used gilding wax in zinc)
• Acrylic paint in burnt umber or aging wax (we used Annie Sloan Dark Wax)
• Sponge or chip brushes
1. Paint each letter with the black paint and let dry.
2. Apply the metallic paint or wax using a dry brush technique by swiping sporadically for an uneven look, allowing some of the black to peek through. (Note: If using gilding wax, you can immediately move to the next step. If using the metallic paint then allow to dry before moving on.)
3. To give an aged look, apply the burnt umber paint or dark wax by blotting it on. Use a lint free towel to blend in for a more natural style.