DIY: Mounted FernMay 23, 2017 11:00AM ● By Kendra Kaiserman
Story by Kayla Stock
Photos by Kelli Avila
• Mounting board – wood slab or split log
• Staghorn fern (other fern species will work)
• Green sheet moss
• Hanging hardware
• Small bucket
• Permanent marker
1. Choose the side of the board the fern will mount to, then flip over and screw in hanging hardware.
2. Flip over to plant mounting side and trace a circle with your bucket in the center where the fern will go.
3. Hammer seven nails evenly around the traced circle.
4. Prune and open the roots of the fern.
5. Place fern inside the circle of nails.
6. Pad moss around the base of the fern to cover exposed soil.
7. Wrap twine around the plant, using the nails as anchors to secure the mount.
8. Make sure the plant is secure and hang the mounted plant.
TIPS: Lay down craft paper for easy clean up.
Any fern species will work for this project. If you have a large mounting space and small plants, you can mount two on one mounting board.