DIY: Jewelry Display
Oct 25, 2018 09:00AM
● By Enjoy Magazine
Story by Monica Fatica
Photos by Kelli Avila
Two 48-inch wooden dowels
Measuring tape or ruler
Wood pencil or tape to mark where to apply the glue
Craft paper to paint on
Sandpaper (not shown – optional)
Tip: We found a 24-inch precut walnut hobby board, but thin plywood or any other type of wood sheet will work. You can personalize it by using a stain of your choice. Be sure to choose the right size of dowel for your jewelry.
1. Mark where you will cut each dowel. You will end up with one 24-inch dowel, two 18-inch dowels and two 12-inch dowels.
2. Cut one of your dowels in half so you have two 24-inch pieces, then cut one of the 24-inch dowels in half so you have two 12-inch pieces. Cut the other 48-inch dowel into two 18-inch pieces and discard the excess.
3. Cut the ends of your hobby board at an angle if you want a modern style. Use sandpaper to smooth any rough edges of the dowels or hobby board.
4. Place your 24-inch dowel at the center of your hobby board, then the two 18-inch dowels spaced at each side of the center dowel and the 12-inch dowels on each side of the 18-inch dowels. We spaced our dowels 4 inches apart. You can mark a line where each dowel is placed, or move onto step 5.
5. Apply your wood glue where your dowels will go.
6. Place your dowels onto the glue. Let the glue dry.
7. Measure and level where your picture hanger will go.
8. Use your hammer to tap the picture hanger into place.